It was a Tuesday and after running three miles in the morning and feeling ahh-mazing, it made sense to not warrant off my hard work and keep the momentum rolling. Unfortunately, tequila shots were calling my name! I was off of work, it was (taco) Tuesday dammit, but I couldn’t let that beat my hustle. So instead I decided to use tequila in the recipe, grab all the flavor and burn out all the alcohol, and there it was: Tequila chicken lettuce wraps.
- 1.5lbs of chicken breast filets
- 1 can of roasted corn and 1 can of unsalted black beans
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 fresh mango, 1 fresh grapefruit and 2 limes.
- spices: red chili flakes, pepper, garlic sea salt
- 2-3oz of silver tequila. I used Sauza, inexpensive but great flavor.
- First grill you chicken with all spices, I used a panini/ foreman grill to get the markings and cook evenly and healthy. once the chicken is almost done will you splash it with your tequila, one ounce each fillet.
- Remove the chicken and cut it into small, minced, bite sizes.
- In a sauté pan, place your chicken, black beans, corn and more chili flakes to sauté, using the juice of half a grapefruit to lock in the citrus flavor. Then turn the heat down to low/ simmer.
- Rinse off your lettuce leaves, one by one, and place them on your plate, these will serve as your tortillas, lets just pretend, okay?
- Now cut a slice of your mango from the side (the hot dog way) and mince that chunk into small pieces. This with lime wedges will serve as your garnish. I added an extra kick of Tajin just because its delicious, but its not necessary.
- Now you can enjoy them! Scoop a spoon or two on to your plate and now you can make many taco as you go, meal prep, savory and delicious!